Welcome to The Glass Source Stained Glass Studio!
We hope you will enjoy your learning experience with us. Our staff and your instructor have worked hard to provide you with a safe, clean and bright learning environment so all you need to do is have fun! Following are some general guidelines about the studio, which should help you feel at home. If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to share them with your instructor or a staff member.
Registration Procedures The Studio will continue to accept registrations up to three days prior to class start date for workshops and weekly classes. Waiting lists are maintained for all classes and workshops. If space becomes available, applicants are notified; please be prepared to respond quickly to an admission offer. There is a $25 charge for any returned checks.
How to register:
- In person by email or by phone. A 50%deposit is required to reserve a space in our 6 week courses. Full Payment is due the first night of class.
- Workshops: Full payment is due to reserve a space.
- Forms of payment: Cash, Check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, AMEX
- Cancelation and Refund Policy Enrollment cancelations made outside six (6) days from the day of class are eligible for a refund, less a 20% cancellation fee. Refunds will not be granted for any cancellations made inside six (6) days from the day of class, no shows, or for withdrawals during the class session. If, for any reason, it is necessary for us to cancel a class, a full refund will be given. or we may reschedule the class. To cancel a class, please contact the studio at 203.924.4368 or at email@example.com.
Open Studio Time:
Open studio is a time that allows you to come in and use our studio space and equipment. Open studio is usually on Saturdays depending on our class schedule or during another class night space permitting.Available in our open studio time are the following tools:
Grinders, Saws, Torch/Lampworking, hand tools ie: Cutters, pliers etc. Extra costs are for any materials you may purchase or kiln firings.
Open studio rates are $14.00 per hour with a 1 hour minimum. Students are asked to sign in when they arrive.
Equipment Rental: (Aside from the torches we operate and run the kilns for you)
- Large 24" x 39" Oval Kiln: $75.00, Includes Thin Fire Paper
- Medium 24" Round Kiln: $60.00, Includes Thin Fire Paper
- Small 8x8 Kilns or Quick Fire: $20.00
- Torch Rental: $25.00 per hour. Includes use of mandrels, hand tools and Annealer.
Preparation for Classes: All students should bring notebooks to each class for taking notes and planning class projects. Students wishing to use specific tools or materials not supplied in class are responsible for obtaining these items themselves.
- Full payment for class is due at the beginning of the first class. Any materials or supplies purchased is due at the end of the workshop. In the case of 6 week courses materials should be paid for at the end of each night
- Please do not arrive more than 15 minutes early for class. Students are not allowed to arrive early to work on projects. We are a working studio and use even the class room space during the day to work on our commissions and restorations.
- Stained glass is a wonderful and enjoyable hobby but like so many things today there are safety measures you should be aware of. Although your instructor will review these with you in detail throughout your class, there are a few things we would like to mention.
- Glass is sharp and you can get cut. Please be careful when taking glass from the bins, gloves and safety glasses are available for your use.
- Do not hold sheets of glass over your head to see how it illuminates. There are two light boxes in the studio for this purpose. Art glass can break easily unlike window glass.
- Please wear safety glasses while cutting, grinding and soldering. Safety glasses should be worn at all times as glass may still fly towards you while another classmate is working.
- Although we don’t like them, accidents do occasionally happen. A first aid kit is located in the class room.
- Please notify the studio if you are going to be absent. To make up your class time you can come during our open studio. The cost for this is $12.50 per hour if you are enrolled in a 6 week course. Open studio provides you with a space to work during non-class time. Staff will be available to answer questions however open studio is not instructed time.
- Eating and drinking are not permitted in the classroom area. If you do have a drink it must be in a closed or covered container. Water is available for students.
- The Glass Source retail store provides all the tools and supplies needed to enjoy your project. Our store hours are Tuesday-Saturday 9-5.
- Please make purchases before class or at the end of the night.
- Please be sure to add you name to our mailing list. Our newsletter will keep you updated on upcoming classes, events and sales.
- Beginner students are welcome to use the tools provided in the studio. Please return tools etc. to their proper space.
- Please begin cleaning up 10 minutes before class ends. Return all tools to appropriate space, clear tables and put all scrap glass in the box provided. Sweep off and clean your area. When everyone helps the clean-up goes quickly and everyone gets out on time, including your instructor.
- Please be sure to wash your hands before leaving the studio.
- Restrooms are around the corner just outside our studio.
- Anyone between the age of 15 and 18 must have a parent sign the Registration Form and Emergency Contact Sheet to participate in studio activities.
- Smoking is not allowed in any area of the studio or building.
- No pets are allowed in the studio.
- The correct eye protection is required when working in any area of the studio, with glass or assisting others.
- Appropriate clothing should be worn at all times when working in any area of the studio, e.g. no flammable fabrics such as polyester or rayon while working with the kilns or torch.
- Appropriate footwear is required when working in any area of the studio; shoes must have closed toes and backs. No flip flops or open toe shoes.
- If you have long hair you must tie it back when working in any area of the studio.
SAFETY & SECURITY (fire extinguishers, exits, bathroom)
- In the event of a fire, please leave the building immediately through the nearest available exit.
- All accidents, no matter how minor, should be reported immediately to a staff member. We have a large selection of Band-Aids!
- Any broken and/or defective equipment should be reported immediately to a staff member.
- Do not leave valuables unattended. The studio is not responsible for theft or damage to personal articles or work left in the facility.
- Due consideration should be shown for individual welfare and for the welfare of others when working.
- Workspaces should be kept clean and tidy during working. On completion of projects or classes students are asked to clean up their areas.
- You must clean your work area when you are finished. This applies to all areas used.
- Cleaning must be completed during your time slot.
FLAT GLASS / KILNFORMING AREA
- The wearing of suitable eye protection is a requirement at all times when cutting or working with glass.
- The wearing of dust masks is a requirement when undertaking mold making, shelf preparation, working with fine frit, powdered glass or enamels or glass painting.
- Do not place anything on top of the kilns.
- The job of modifying any kiln controller or computer is the responsibility of the staff unless otherwise authorized.
- The wearing of suitable eye protection is a requirement at all times when working with a torch. Didymium glasses are required and we have them here for your use.
- Students must wear natural fiber clothing and long hair must be tied back.
- No open toe shoes